Wednesday, October 31, 2007


I should tell you that I followed the whysoserious.com pumpkin. I kept it up on my browser and updated at the times that it would change the figure of the pumpkin, I knew it would finally show something relating to the Dark Knight, the Batman Begins sequel. Well it's Halloween and now the site has replaced the pumpkin with a letter and some bits of a picture that when clicked on shows a treasure hunt riddle for each individual state in the United States. I was kind of pissed at the thought that I cannot participate when I would love to go and search for what ever the item is.

It is Halloween here in the Philippines yet no one celebrates it even though it is a cool holiday to celebrate. I would love to get a scary costume to put on in a Halloween party and scare some kids also would be nice. I am not cruel but when I grew up when I got scared on Halloween I never forgot how I got scared. Like me and my brothers went to multiple houses that were fitted with some interesting things. For example there was one where the front yard had a big plastic pumpkin full candy which was right next to a scarecrow sitting down on a rocking chair and when we were going to get the candy the scarecrow stood up and yelled at us. We grabbed a whole handful at the shock and ran towards my Dad who was looking after us.

We later went to a house with its garage door open and smoke coming out of the garage ( I later found out that it was dry ice that made the smoke). The smoke was coming from a cauldron in the middle of the garage and there was loud music being played in the garage and teenagers dancing around. Apparently we were in a Halloween party that allowed kids to go in and get candy from the smoking cauldron in the middle of the room.

I remember that Halloween well, I was dressed up as a ninja and so was my brother, only one of us was in a scary kind of costume, being a gargoyle. I remember it so well because it was the last Halloween I actually went out and dressed up and went around the neighborhood. We didn't know were we would eventually end up but if we knew I bet anything that we would have gone up and beyond the normal pay load we all try to achieve. You see we usually try to get the most candy out of the all of us and who ever gets the most gets to eat his candy first while the others watch, (okay well maybe that last part wasn't true but I would love to do that, cue cruel laughter...Hahaha).

On this Hallows night I start to wonder, what is our fascination with zombies? I mean really? What makes us so ga ga over the idea of the living dead? This doesn't mean I hate zombies, I was just wondering. I mean there are so many zombie movies, comics, action figures, games. You name it, it has been zombified before or will be zombified later in the future. But forget about my ramblings for now.

Hope all of you are having a good time on the night of the living dead when ghosts and ghouls roam the world to find so souls to feast on, or something of that nature. There is nothing to really to do here on Halloween I wish that Philippines embraced Halloween like the US does, instead of just adopting it for a no work day and shopping sales, which kind of makes Halloween a laughable holiday here.

Ho, Ho, Ho, Happy Halloween*!!

(*Note I am saying Happy Halloween like I say Merry Christmas.)

No comments: